Sunday, March 7, 2010

Lift Camp and the Liberty Godparent Home

Hello!

Just wanted to give you all another update on the happenings here at Liberty. Lots of things have been going on with me lately and overall it's pretty awesome.

First of all, I'm going to start with the worst part. As some of you already know, I recently got fired from my job at the movie theater due to me completely forgetting about a meeting until after it was over. When I came back for my shift that night, they were nice enough to ask if I wanted to go ahead and work that night, so I did. Overall, I was only working about one day a week and there was a lot of miscommunication which resulted in me missing work and losing some of the very few days I did get, so hopefully when I find a new job it will be better.

Second, I received an e-mail a while ago from my communications teacher from last semester saying that one of her co-workers named Jenny needed to interview girls that are from divorced families. I decided to go ahead and do the interview. The whole time I have this overwhelming feeling that this was happening for a reason, so I kept waiting for her to say something really profound, but we kept talking for an hour after the interview an though it was a good conversation, nothing of that sort came. Then we started talking about how it's so crazy how things work out in such detailed, intricate ways, and how so many things would be completely different if even one miniscule detail had been changed. Then, I mention Lift Camp to her. Her literal response was "Lift Camp? Shut up! I worked there for 6 years..." So then we started talking about how I was thinking of applying, then found out the application deadline had passed a month beforehand. She called the person in charge of interviews and whatnot and told her about me, and they decided to allow me to go ahead and apply. So, I applied, and was accepted.

That being said, this summer, I will be travelling with a Christian youth camp called Lift Student Ministries for about a month later this coming summer. Each camp takes place at a different college campus, where we stay in dorms for a week. I am on the second part of the summer, so I will start in Longview, Texas, then go to Siloam Springs, Arkansas, then Cedarville, Ohio, then finish with two camps back to back in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I'm very excited about this, but I'm also kind of nervous. I haven't figured out why I'm nervous yet, however, I do know that I will end up needing to raise about $1,000 by the beginning of May in order to be able to go, including a plane ticket to Texas. Any help that anyone would be able to give would be greatly appreciated!

In addition to helping me get in contact with Lift Camp, my new friend Jenny invited me to come work with a high school girls' small group that's part of a larger youth group, and I went for the first time this past Wednesday. Today we decided to pay a visit to the Liberty Godparent Home as one of several possible ways to do outreach in the community. Girls in the community can use the LGH as a safe place to stay while they make up their minds about what to do when their child is born. they also don't have to go out and face the criticism that the world gives girls in their situation, and can continue with their education through teachers and online learning programs. Today we just went and hung out with them and played board games, painted nails, and talked a lot. They were pretty awesome. I enjoy it. My proposal for next time? A chocolate fondue party. We'll see.

For now, I'm going to call it quits. Thank you for reading!

God bless,
~RLF

No comments:

Post a Comment