Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween!

Halloween is probably one of my favorite holidays. I know some people think it's all about satanic worship and child sacrifices and whatnot, but really, when was the last time you saw a child sacrifice on Halloween? I think dressing up and getting candy is fairly harmless, and even fun, as long as nobody poisons the candy.

Well, for the joint hall meeting this past week, I dressed up as a pirate. Of course someone had to dress up as Jack Sparrow, or Halloween would not have been complete. We took pictures of me slapping him, and he let me borrow one of his bottles of "rum" aka IBC cream soda. He then asked to borrow my corset to let his girlfriend wear to a party at VT. I don't loan my corsets to strangers, so I said no...

Anyway, last night I went to volunteer to help set up and decorate for a kid's carnival. When I got there, they asked me to have a seat and wait to be paired with a child, stating that the children would be there in an hour. This was a decent shock to me, since the sheet I was given had said the carnival was today and only set up was yesterday, but I didn't mind. Then, another lady comes and tells us that she had heard we didn't all know that the children were autistic. So I went from decorating for a Halloween party to playing with, watching out for, and feeding autistic children. The boy I was paired with, named Will, was dressed as Thomas the train and was very cute. We ended up crashing Hot Wheels into each other most of the night and shooting Nerf guns. Overall, it was a lot of fun, and when his older siblings, Steven and Lilly, who had been partnered with other Liberty students, were picked up, their mom asked if we were going to be back for Christmas, so maybe I will be. They were so cute! I wish I had pictures.

Also, last night after the carnival, I went out to Amherst County High School to help a church called Oasis with an outreach event that they were hosting. They had an amazing dunk team, which I didn't know existed, but they did all kinds of crazy stunts involving slam dunking basketballs. They gave away tons of free pizza, had a drawing for a Wii, and had an unplanned dance party in the parking lot. It was interesting standing in the area between the gym and the parking lot giving away pizza, since I could see and hear what was going on in both places. In the gym, one of the guys gave their testimony and they prayed and things like that, and on the other everyone was dancing like crazy. By the way, did you know that there is a dance to the song Jump Around? Well, I do. I looked out when that song was playing, and everyone was doing the electric slide to that song. What a concept. But it was interesting to witness these two contrasting events simultaneously. I think big things may be getting ready to happen in Amhurst. I may be getting more involved with this church in the near future.

As for today, Halloween, I am going to be working at the theater from 5:30-11:30, which is sad because we're going to be slammed since we have Saw VI and Halloween 2, and maybe even Nightmare Before Christmas 3D, and also because I'd rather be doing other things. But, I can't complain a whole lot, since I was partly expecting to be fired after what happened recently. I may go to Wal-mart tonight and get some discounted Halloween candy to make myself feel better.

Anyway, I hope you all have a fun and safe Halloween! I may possibly be back home for Thanksgiving break, so if you want to see me then, let me know!

Love and lots of candy,

~RLF

No comments:

Post a Comment